02 May 2012

23 years after

It was once again the time of the year when I grow one year older. I´m 23 and I still look forward to birthdays. I love everything about birthdays: cake and sweets, dressing up, gift wrappers, flowers, countless hugs and balloons. I think I always had good birthdays as a child too. In April you can play outside with puddles and streams wearing wellies...

I decided to make the cake of my dreams. The cornerstones of my idea were mintchocolate and pear. I got some real vanilla and natural mint extract and that´s where I wanted to base my creation on. I looked up some recipes online and used them as guidelines. Well, my dough was a disaster. It didn´t raise because I only whipped it with a regular whisk. (I don´t own an electric mixer.) Abandoning my principles I went to the shop and bought some ready-made sponge cakes. After that everything went pretty well. I cooked a pear compote with vanilla and other spices. I whipped some cream and mixed it with cream cheese for extra freshness. Filled the cakes with those two and topped with chocolate, coconut and baby birch leaves...:)


Surprisingly enough it was delicious! Despite my improvising...

So, what about growing old? I´m really excited about it to be honest because with the years come wisdom and life experience. I enjoy the feeling of being more comfortable in my skin and not being so obsessed with superficial things. I´m in a learning process which is great. I love learning. Sometimes it happens only after blundering but even mistakes have their place in life and that´s fine. I´ve been able to grow as a person. The single disturbing things is that I´m able to use expressions like "ten years ago" or "in the 90´s"... Right now I feel young as ever but there are some thing that reveal I´m leaving my teen years behind...

- I´m starting to like dry wines
- I talk to myself in public
- I slow down at cross-roads
- I don´t always look in the mirror when I go out
- I stopped subscribing to womens magazines

Thank you all beautiful people who showed up to my birthday party! I had the best time. Have a happy spring and live boldly !!
xx

2 comments: