29 May 2012

The Unbearable Lightness of Summer

I´m not a big fan of summer. That´s what I always say but as soon as I get my hands on treats like fresh cherries or rhubarb I change my mind... I love making pies out of fresh berries or rhubarb. The world is so much better place after making a pie.

Why wouldn´t I like summer? Because it´s so short and everyone´s so aware of it all the time. People here in the North take summer very seriously. As soon as the sun comes out and the temperature goes up to +15 Finns put on their shorts and tees. Whereas I´m shivering in my scarf. In summer you must eat as much ice cream as you can, stay at a cottage somewhere by a lake, swim in the lake, grill sausages and mushrooms wrapped in bacon, lie on the lawn with a magazine, get a tan, wear sunglasses everywhere, attend music festivals and a half marathon... There´s so much you got to do in 2-3 months. So many expectations. My reaction is to make rhubarb pies and wander in the forests.

Peacock butterfly

Even thought summer is short you can store it in so many ways for the winter. I do it by photographing and collecting whatever wild food I can freeze of dry for later use.

Another thing I always say is that Finland is the bect place where to spend summer. In central Europe it´s too hot and crowded, in Asia it´s probably monsoon or something. In Finland there are enough forests to roam for everyone and it´s never too hot! (Pun attended.) I hereby advice everyone to enjoy the Finnish nature. Probably the most magical place I know is any forest near water in a light summer night.

Officers club in Hamina
More amazing things you can take advantage of in summer: wearing anklets and flowing dresses, painting outdoors, walking barefoot, picking flowers, keeping windows open, having pie (!) for lunch on a terrace or balcony, putting flowers in a vase, birds singing, smell of hot asphalt, hot asphalt workers, flowers, birds, flowers and birds, water, sea shores and sand under your feet, sailing, gardening, vegetable market and the big big blue sky... Did I mention birds?

With love and strawberry pies.

No comments:

Post a Comment