21 May 2012

Ready, set, go raw!

It´s half past midnight and Monday. I´ve just started the week of raw food that I promised to do. I have approximately two reasons why I want to do this:

1) I want to know what the fuss is about. Will I feel better and more energetic?
2) I like challenging myself and trying new things.

... and a third reason...

3) I like setting an example and showing that there are indeed options for the way we fat westerners eat. And live.

Hempseeds, I´m lovin´ it!

To kickstart the week I´ve put some beans and peas into water overnight and marinated mushrooms. Knowing myself and my sweet tooth I also prepared some delicious date munchies and mint chocolates to die for. Whenever I feel desperate during next week I can just seek consolation from the "sweet shelf" of my fridge...

I guess it would be appropriate to explain more about the idea behind all this obscure talk about raw food. I´ve written about raw food before, atleast chocolate, and I´ve read a lot about it on the net. Raw food or living food is just another trend in nutrition and the idea is to preserve all nutrients and vitamins food contains by not cooking it. (People on raw diet call it "killing the food".) Obviously this is not for hardcore carnivores even though also meat can be eaten raw... Think about sushi, for instance.

Raw foodist consumes heaps of fresh vegetables, fruits, berries, nuts, seeds, sprouts, even cereals (?), beans and peas... I want to underline that fresh veggies are always better than canned stuff. The diet is not as harsh as it sounds like and I will be sharing some recipes along the week.



One thing about pulses. As far as I know, nearly every bean, pea or lentil can be soaked, sprouted and eaten raw. Some of them don´t sprout but atleast mung beans are good. I have some of them going in a bowl. Tomorrow morning I´ll try and start sprouting them (never done it before). Back in times at Earth Café I tried marinated raw chickpeas and they are really lovely and fresh.

As treats are so important, I share my sweet recipes first!

Date munchies

8-10 dates
1tbsp sunflower seeds
1tbsp almond flower
1tsp cacao powder
1tsp maca powder (optional)
1tsp grated fresh ginger
1tbsp cashew nuts
pinch of good salt
pinch of cayenne pepper

>>Mix everything in a food processor, form small balls and coat them with coconut or why not sesame seeds. Ready to eat as it is!

Mint chocolate

1dl coconut oil and/or cacao butter
2tbsp raw cacao powder
1-2tsp honey or other natural sweetener
2tsp lucuma powder
a couple of drops of natural mint extract

>>Melt the oil in a bain marie and add everything else. Mix well and pour into an icecube form or onto a plate. Freeze for half an hour or cool in the fridge for an hour. Phenomenal, I say!

No comments:

Post a Comment