11 February 2010

People talking

I had a good day. It didn´t go as I planned but it was good altogether. I do feel a bit bad for not going to work even if I could have. Lost funds for my next trip!

The phenomenan of the day was Finnish people talking to each other. Mutual extreme experiences seem to provoke spontaneous concersations with strangers. I attended university´s ice swimming which took place at an actual ice swimming club. There we sat in the sauna among the members, mostly older people. They were eager to talk about their experiences and it was really nice to be there and share the warmth, the cold and the feel of blood rushing in veins. How could you keep your mouth shut after such an amazing experience!



The same atmosphere continued on my way back home through a massive snow storm. I was trying my best to ride my bike on a street covered with ankle-deep snow. I passed by two ladies and both of them  adressed me commenting on the weather/snow. Weather always seems to be a valid topic for casual conversations. People realize that those silent figures walking down the streets are living and breathing things who experience the same wethaer. We´re all in the same shit: in waist-high snow!

So my conclusion is that Finns need provoking experinces, good or bad, in order to feel like communicating with people. A terrorist attack, a snow storm, parachute jumping, a demonstration in the street, a new president...

Next time something annoying happens I will think about this factor...

No comments:

Post a Comment