26 January 2011

Buy my life

Technology has enabled human´s need to boast as never seen before. This afternoon, as I started my quite ordinary laptop of a label that shall remain unknown and waited as it connected to the net.. or should I say “as the internet connected” or “switched on the internet”? However, as I entered cyberspace, I came to think about the importance of a thing as minor as status updates. Social networks allow people to provide informations of their everyday life more frequently than it´s physically possible. I´m cycling to uni now and saw the tiniest dog ever. /Sitting in the lecture hall, boooringgg... /In the canteen: should I have peasoup or peesoup? Ha ha/Toilet roll is out...

Reason for human behaviour can often be found in the pre-historic times. Did cavemen in the Stone Age have a similar urge as modern humans to share their life excessively with just about anyone who is willing to listen? Did they hang bones and skulls of animals they had hunted outside the cave so that everyone could see their success? Was it important to seem like an interesting persona?


Meet my new bike. 

There´s technology and there´s Facebook. It´s easy to show off in this time of plenty, money and material. New eyephones and exotic holidays in Trinidad and Tobago make us feel good and boost our self-esteem not to mention slick comments on your photo album in (anti)social networks. Is it really working though? You´re just one pathetic person in somebody´s list of 400 friends. How to stand out and get a two-figure number in that tiny red square in the top bar? Better go up close and personal.

Do you want to buy my life? I have taken a tattoo. I was in a crazy party last Saturday. Today I´ve written an essay, rowed 5 miles, made a cheesecake with chocolate sprinkles on it and watched all seasons of Desperate Housewives. Do you want to know more before you decide? My relationship status is “complicated” and my favourite quotation is “Live fast, die young”.

Never before have humans had to know so much about themselves. And others. There´s a brooding feeling to define yourself. Even the infamous Finnish modesty has turned into universal gloom of pride and uniqueness. And why wouldn´t you be proud for being so special? You don´t want to be one of those ordinary people who aren´t even on FB and whose highlight of the day is finding ten cents from the street! Even if someone did write about finding ten cents from the street it would be for the crowd to have an ironical laugh where as the poor fellow himself is actually just rubbing salt on the wound...

One just wonders if there´s such thing as privacy any more. The answer is yes. It´s called privacy settings! And it´s privacy that keeps you from knowing that this morning I had ryebread with cheese.

Hope you enjoyed my newly found italics.

2 comments:

  1. He felt a shiver down his spine as he hastily re-read the blog update. Yet again his eyes were stoppede and fixated on the line of text. "I entered cyberspace". Italics, nice! Who would have thought. Her words still echoing in the back of his brain he started on his witty comment.
    -- unknown blog commenter, may he blog in peace.

    Too bad I'm not witty :). Italics added a nice touch in some places. Almost like I was sitting right there listening to you :P

    PS. How do you like my new-found-old-found sarcasm. The lowest form of humor :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love and cherish both irony and sarcarsm. I don´t even know which one is which. Love is blind. Ha ha.

    I also love it how cyberspace works quite fast in the mornings...

    ReplyDelete