20 January 2011

What are you laughing at?

One of the most awkward moments is when after a punchline of a joke you´re grinning like an idiot while others are exchanging unsure looks. Why is it that people have different senses of humour!? Must have something to do with the up-bringing but it is frustrating indeed.

It´s hard to describe one´s sense of humour. I like to think my sense of humor is rather dry and sometimes I enjoy really off-the-wall absurd jokes. Monty Python is a good example and they have songs aswell!

Usually I like British sit-coms because they´re warm and somehow effortless. Where as American jokes can be aggressive or too obvious. Although I have to say there were some amazingly funny bits in The Due Date even though I otherwise disliked the movie. Another ever-lasting love of mine is Frasier of which the core and heart lies within the characters. I can´t get enough of the snobby brothers and their sarcastic daddy.

There´s not much good stand-up comedy about I really enjoy. I will have to look into Finnish stand-up more because as far as I know - it´s horrible. My favourite comedian, though, is an Australian bloke called Tim Minchin. Actually he´s more than a comedian - he´s an artist. I´m sure everyone has sometimes come up with a funny song, made up new lyrics to an existing song or something like that. Tim Minchin has taken it onto a whole new level. His songs are beautiful, witty and often have a devilish twist.

I think most people laugh at unexpected happenings or breaking taboos. Man dressed as a woman used to be the funniest thing on TV and kind of shocking because manhood was something not to be questioned. Today it´s just banal. But a news presenter falling off a chair? Hilarious! Talking of banal, what´s the deal with slapstick comedy? People seem to like it. Why else would they make so many Home Alone- sequels?

I don´t usually laugh at traditional jokes such as “A norwegian, a swede and a finn went to sauna...” That kind of jokes have a clear patter and thus are predictable That´s the very reason I can´t think of anything when I have to think of a joke. I can tell funny things that happened to real people, funny spelling mistakes in the paper and so on. Now I´m asking you to share your best jokes with me! Don´t worry, my lips are sealed...

P.S. I hate it when people make a jokey comment and then add as to be sure: “It was a joke.” You can be certain of ruining the joke as well as my mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment