28 April 2010

Because age is just a number

Yes. I turned 21. What´s that supposed to mean?


(That´s my birthday cake. I made it all by myself. See, I´m pretty savvy for my years...)

Maybe I was supposed to have done certain things by this age. I´m supposed to be grown-up, stabilized, in a relationship, studying hard, paying my bills and flossing every day. Maybe I expected to have found myself and my way by this time. In primary school I thought high school kids are practically adults. In high school I thought university is when all the fun starts and I finally understand life.

Untill now, age always had a meaning. In school it means certain level. It´s pretty cool to turn 10 because then you´ll have two figures in your age. In upper level age crudely indicates your status and you can´t wait to be 15 and on the final year. And then you start waiting for turning 18... Then follows the "pointless age" 19 because it´s in the middle of two important age limits. When you finally turn 20 you can buy any alcohol. And that´s about it really. There´s also the age limit of 21 to certain bars but when you´re 21 you don´t want to go to that kind of old-folk-places...

So now I´m just 21 and it means nothing. I guess I´m just waiting for my life to happen. One day I´ll be grown-up and ready and know everything and have no further questions about life.

But. I´ve come to understand that I´ll never be there. Because in this petty age of 21 I´m already there. I´ve always been there. Or maybe that´s what it means. Enough of waiting, now is time to stop staring at the number!

No comments:

Post a Comment