21 October 2010

About being less great than usually

Do you ever have that feeling that the impression you've given on yourself is completely distorted? Deep inside you know for sure you're smart, funny and charming and your close friends would agree. But it's easy to turn into a complete differend person, say, at work where you're not always at ease or on top of things especially if you're in a foreign country...

When I started working in my current job I thought it's going to be easy. Firstly, I got experiencein this field and secondly, I'm a girl. I know it might be a sexistic thing to say but guys are always a bit easier on girls and my boss is a guy. Later I figured it doesn't help much if you're as unlucky as I've been.

All along I've been testing my boss' s patience by not understanding what he says in incredible speed and a broad northern dialect. It makes me look quite daft to react with a few seconds' delay to orders given to me. I've also done two major blunders. Both of them were accidents and merely caused by my will to be a good worker.

It must've been the second week when I broke the key. I was locking a vending machine after topping it up and found it hard to close the door properly. I took the key out and pushed the door briskly. As I started to give the lock another try I noticed the key had snapped broken. The missing piece was nowhere to be seen and I thought it must be inside the lock. I had no idea how it all happened.

Naturally my boss wasn't very happy but he only gave me one bad look. I emptied the vender with heavy heart.

The following week I attacked another machine. I had been trained to use the till somewhat but I found it a bit complicated because you're not able to cancel anything you press. Once I was charging for a jacket potato and pressed the wrong key. In my mind my following actions made perfect sense but somehow I managed to mess up and the till went "beeeep" and even my older co-worker didn't know what was wrong.

She called the boss. (Whenever she calls the boss it feels like asking the Queen to come out of the palace and open a tin for you.) He was not happy but luckily it didn't take long to sort the till out. I felt like an idiot who brakes everything she touches.

All kinds of small things have happened after that. I mixed up twenty pounds with forty pounds. I've been told twice to put less chicken in a wrap. I've been trying to make myself invisible.

By the way, my boss is leaving and a new one's starting after half-term. And I will have the chance to be smart, funny and charming again.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment