29 November 2012

Season greetings

It´s here. That season. Season of consumerism. I know, I know; I not going to preach about materialism right now. I know you all know it´s bad and terrible. I want to focus on the positive side even though I´m not so into Christmas myself. I don´t know why, maybe because there´s so much hustle and buzzle and so many norms and expectations.

I don´t like Christmas traditions so much. For many years I felt uncomfortable about going to the Christmas service. Thank god (pun intended) I´m not obliged to do that anymore as I´m not even a member of the parish.

However, I´ve had quite a christmasy feeling lately. I like the atmosphere around this time: days are getting shorter and shorter and we´re expecting the winter to begin for real. Today the temperature plunged down to -6 and there was slight snow fall. There was thin ice on the bay. Also, it feels more and more cosy to stay at home and do some handicrafts, maybe light candles. There are Christmas lights here and there. Even my good old sour neighbour lit a fir tree at the foot of the porch! How sweet.


Today I was at a café and thought how lucky I am, being able to have a coffee in peace, watching the daylight drawing in. First snow is another moment I really enjoy. There´s something grand about it. More good moments, less rush and materialism.

P.S. Tomorrow is the Finnish "Buy Nothing Day"!   

2 comments:

  1. Perfect music for that: Asaf Avidan and the Mojos! (e.g. The ghost of a thousand little lies).
    Hug from Karlsruhe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip Dani, I´m lovin them! Hugs back from Vaasa!

    ReplyDelete