23 October 2012

Killing time for longevity

I don´t understand the concept of hobbies. Why do we have to have hobbies? Do we have to fill our free time with activities that pursue self-improvement? Isn´t free time supposed to be what it´s called: free time. Hobby sounds like something you have to do regularly, like defrosting the freezer. 

I don´t think I have to justify the fact that relaxing and not doing anything is good for you. We live in such a competitive and busy world that occasional sitting down and watching the grass grow is more than welcome. I was so happy when a friend returning from holiday answered my question "what did you do" with a mere "nothing". That´s right and worthy!

I don´t get it why we always have to do something useful or developing. Take sports for example. I think it has stolen a way too big limelight in people´s lifestyle. A simple-minded might think that exercise equals health. No way is it so easy. I´ve met too many people whose health has been ruined because of doing too much sports over too many years. Humans are not meant to do heavy sports regularly. Why is there a saying "an athlete doesn´t see a healthy day"? I hereby condemn competitive sports.

Is cooking my hobby if I enjoy it but it also keeps me alive?

Actually I´m more for just being active in a way that our ancestors were. I assume the early humans moved around a lot gathering food, lifting and carrying things, hunting a little bit (not chasing animals though) and maybe building something. I don´t think anyone was obliged to run very long distances.

I´m also inspired by the longevity of people in Okinawa, a Japanese island where lives the most long-living people in the world. People there live in a very simple and traditional way, fishing and small-scale farming. They don´t go to the gym. They get their exercise from daily life, or maybe some folk dance...

Another secret to Okinawan longevity is said to be socializing. I´ve sometimes heard Finnish people judging the custom in southern cultures of sitting around and "slacking". Yes, you mostly see youngsters and immigrants hanging out in my town, while the majority of the population is rushing about and running errands. It´s so sad all this "hanging around" is seen as a negative thing. I would rather see more of it - socializing with no specific aim. It promotes good health and is the most natural, and the oldest, way of passing time.

The end.

Can we chill out more?

No comments:

Post a Comment