03 September 2011

In search of Scandinavia


Can I have the big one?




Three weeks have passed in this beautiful town in the southernmost tip of Norway. I´m having a full immersion into Norwegian culture as my experience will not limit only to my own observations but I will also learn a lot on the course I´m attending. It´s about Norwegian culture, society and education. By far we have made three field trips, learned about Norwegian values, education, history and literature.

I was right to anticipate being the only Finn among the new exchange students. My only words of Finnish during all this time (apart from some samples when asked) were spoken in a club where I briefly encountered a Finn from Yli-Tornio. Funny that I had to come all the way to Norway to meet the first person in my life who speaks meänkieli – the language spoken on the Swedish boarder. I think it´s time I travelled in my home country more.

For my fellow students there are plenty of things that make them gasp but for a Finn exploring another Scandinavian country is detailed and challenging work. It´s for the very reason that differences are not big.

In my everyday life I´ve been studying the importance of matpakke (lunchkpack), courtesy in the traffic, market place, differences between grocery stores, Sunday strolls and many more interesting subjects. Everything is as I knew and as I expected: Norway is like Finland but a tiny bit better and nicer.

Or maybe it´s not that simple. It´s possible that right now I´m blind to the positive sides of my home country because I´m on the “honeymoon phase”. However, I have been very busy observing the Norwegian society. I already discovered some facts that would make Finns raise their eyebrows. Norwegians are really, I mean really, into decorating their homes nicely. There are numerous interior shops even in the small town of Kristiansand. I also feel that Norwegians appreciate their nature more and truly want to be connected to it. Finns love their tellies and gadgets and prefer having a comfy life on this side of the window glazing. We are the hi-tech nation of Nokia! We don´t want to pick berries – let the Thai come here and do that.

Norwegians are extremely concerned of people´s well-being and equality. Even on the expense of results in study or work. That´s why pupils in primary school are not evaluated with grades. I find that Finns are more focused on success, as we have such a low national self-esteem, and we want the rest of the world think that Finland is actually quite alright even though it´s on the freaking Arctic Circle!

The quest goes on. Tonight I will disguise myself with a bottle of wine and do some field work concerning the alcohol consumption in Norway. I heard that Norwegians drink excessive amounts but I doubt that.

Ha det bra!

No comments:

Post a Comment